Sunday, May 26, 2013

CMS Interview with Local Librarian

The following is based on an interview with a local librarian. The interview was conducted through e-mail after I initially met with the librarian in person to request an interview. There was no follow up interview due to time constraints.  The librarian implied they would email more information later, so I will update this post if I receive more information.

Interview Transcript

Questions I sent:


How and where did you hear about CMS?

What were your motivations to adopt CMS for its current use (library website or any other purpose)?

What were your decisions making criteria? And what is the name of the CMS you are using now? 

What are the important benefits or advantages of the CMS you are using now over the old system or another CMS system that you have used in the past? 

Have you used any other CMS besides the one you are using now?

How was the learning curve?

Response Received: 

I learned about CMS in library literature & talking with other directors. We use an outside source for our website design & to update the pages. The site is designed so that a staff member can add some content but not change any of the design elements. Content added is mostly program dates and some services. I will have to contact the web designer to find out the name of the program. 

Reflection on Interview

The response that I received to my interview questions was definitely brief and wanting for details. However, that can be attributed to time constraints and some confusion on who needed to answer my questions. The librarian that I originally requested an interview with was more than happy to help and has helped with multiple projects before.  However, once she received my questions she realized that there was someone else at the library better suited to answer these particular questions.  She forwarded my questions to an IT person within the library system.  Unfortunately this took a tad longer and there was not time for him to answer the questions, so the original librarian, who is the library director, answered them to the best of her abilities.  

I did learn that the library does use a CMS for their website. I found it interesting that the librarian I interviewed learned about CMS from other directors and library literature rather than school, but she went to school in a time probably before CMS was popular.  Their system is set up where staff members within the library can make specific changes to the website, but the main website is managed by a web master, which is the way that most websites I have talked with people about are run.  I used to work for a race track and their website was the same way. It was designed and maintained by a web master, but it was set up where staff could go in and change certain things that were updated on a weekly basis.  

I do wish I could have found out more about the learning curve and a comparison between this CMS and any former CMS or other means of managing the website. I hope that I receive a follow up email that provides that extra bit of information. I have heard that this library in particular uses Joomla, but the director did not confirm that for me, but I do expect to hear confirmation back from her soon, most likely after the holiday.  I would also be interested to hear what the web master has to say, even though the site is updated by staff.  Most importantly though, I would like to hear a comparison between the current CMS and the previous website management system.  



2 comments:

  1. I hope you receive a follow up email as well. I was initially going to do this assignment, but because of the time restraints and holiday weekend, I was unable to do so. Looks like the information you did get was helpful. Oh the woes of Maymester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I have not gotten a follow up. :( I thought about doing the other option, but I didn't have time for that one by the time I figured out this one wasn't working out too well!

    ReplyDelete